Monday, January 23, 2012

Washington is So Close to Marriage Equality


Washington has the 25 votes for marriage equality, thanks to Senator Mary Margaret Haugen!
 Haugen's announcement came has hundreds of people filled the capitol to advocate for and against gay marriage. State senators began considering the bill during a morning committee hearing.

In a statement, Haugen said, "I know this announcement makes me the so-called 25th vote, the vote that ensures passage. That's neither here nor there. If I were the first or the seventh or the 28th vote, my position would not be any different. I happen to be the 25th because I insisted on taking this much time to hear from my constituents and to sort it out for myself, to reconcile my religious beliefs with my beliefs as an American, as a legislator, and as a wife and mother who cannot deny to others the joys and benefits I enjoy."
They only needed 25 to pass the bill forward from the Senate! We are getting there!

source

3 comments:

Bob said...

I see it happening soon!

Roger Poladopoulos said...

Hooray for Washington! My Seattle buddies are ecstatic!

BosGuy said...

C'mon WA State...join all the other cool states... Did you know MA has the lowest divorce rate in the nation? Marriage thrives when it is open to everyone.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.