Saturday, January 14, 2012

RuPaul's views on the word 'Tranny' and the TV show 'Work It'


RuPaul had some things to say about the word 'Tranny' and ABC failed series, 'Work It'.
Of the ABC sitcom, "Work It," in which two straight men dress in drag in order to get jobs and which has been criticized by gay and transgender activists for mocking transgender women, RuPaul implores the activists: "Don't take life so seriously... We live in a culture where everyone is offended by everything."

On Lance Bass's apology for using the word "tranny," Rupaul says: "It's ridiculous! It's ridiculous!... I love the word "tranny"...And I hate the fact that he's apologized. I wish he would have said, 'F-you, you tranny jerk!'"
Well Ru, just because you like the word 'tranny' doesn't make it great to say. It's offensive and we can deny that.

source

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Ru Paul. Go Ru!

WilsonW said...

Not surprising. Ru had a song recently on one of her albums called, "Tranny Chaser". She has always been kinda live and let live when it comes to controversial things like this. I remember her being a big supporter of that comedian Shirley Q. Liquor who did black face comedy. Which of course didn't sit well with the Black community.

Miss Ginger Grant said...

I agree that people take things way too seriously. I thought Shirley Q Liquor was funny because, growing up in South Louisiana, I knew each and every one of her characters personally.... Her characterizations were parody... why is it okay for Tyler Perry to do "Madea" but this guy can't do "Shirley Q?" It's a double standard!

And I liken the work "Tranny" to the term "Nigga"- it's okay for a transgender or black person to say them, but heaven forbid anyone else does! What's up with that?

As for the ABC show.... didn't we have an almost identical plot for "Bosom Buddies" in the 80's?

And yes, I said both of those words here. And no, I don't use them in general conversation.

WilsonW said...

@Ginger-There's always a double standard when it comes to terms like that. What "we" can say versus what "they" can say. I'm not sure how that type of thing can be remedied. It seems to simply correlate to who is in power versus who is viewed as oppressed. Which group is threatened or a minority versus which one isn't.

I remember watching Bossom Buddies when I was younger and honestly don't really remember the premise that much. I also didn't watch this newer show. But many of the shows from my youth would have been yanked off the air now. Archie Bunker, The Jeffersons, Good Times, and probably Bossom Buddies as well.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.