Friday, January 6, 2012

New Poll: Half of Gay Men “would die a year early” for the Hot Body


I was reading Kyle's blog ' Out Left' and saw this poll. Apparently, half of the gay men surveyed would give up a year of their lives for the perfect body.

But there's more in this survey that is very interesting:
The research also said 10% of gay men would agree to die more than 11 years earlier if they could have their ideal body now.

Nine in ten gay men admit they enforce “unrealistic” images of lean and muscular men in conversation.
In comparison, only a third of straight men said they would give a year or more for an ideal body shape, and 77% admitted buying into the body image ideal.

The research was part of a study commissioned by Central YMCA, the Succeed Foundation and the Centre for Appearance Research at UWE Bristol into how men talk about their bodies.
Gay respondents were consistently more affected by body concerns and more likely to make body comparisons than straight men. 

They were also significantly more likely to use what the study authors called “body talk”: speech that implicitly or explicitly reinforces or endorses the traditional western standard of male attractiveness: tall, lean, muscular, toned body with clear skin and a full head of hair.
I don't think I would give up a year of my life for the perfect body. However, I would continue to strive to have a good and purposeful life.

source

7 comments:

Alan Scott said...

Count me superficial but I think I'd be in the 10%. Oh, well. It has to be better than the alternative. LOL

Daij said...

I have to be honest. I would sell my soul to the devil for a six pack

Blobby said...

I'll shave off 5 yrs for a better one.

apitt said...

I am in good shape now and want to live my life to the full.

Anonymous said...

When you find a man who you love and he loves you this would not be an issue. Except me as I am.

Alan Scott said...

Some very good points are posted here, i.e. be happy with yourself and who you are. But those posts that mention this come from the two who already admit being in shape or have good bodies. Yes, personality and self-confidence are important in any relationship. The guy with a body of Adonis but is a jackass may be as unhappy as the guy with a sparkling personality but a body where he frequently finds himself alone in a crowded elevator.

That poses two questions: Does the peace of mind and self-confidence come with attaining a good body? Or is it the opposite?

As to Question 1, there's more to physical fitness and attractiveness than just being liked.

First, it's a well-worn fact that good-looking people are more successful. I'm sure that extends to great bodies as well as faces. It's just the way life is.

Second, since people with good bodies seem happier overall, is it because they know if they nod and smile to the hottie in the bar/gym/restaurant that the hottie is more likely to return the guesture rather than scatter like a cockroach when the light is turned on?

Or is it they know their time in the gym isn't wasted? I have a body type that doesn't have a propensity to put on muscle, no matter how much time I spend weight-lifting, doing cardio, and watching my nutritional intakes. I may be fit, and I may be in shape but I will never have a body of which I can post a profile pic of me shirtless.

I have a husband and we are very happy with each other. The gorgeous body I'd love to have is for me as much as for him.

I addressed the first question but someone else will have to answer the second.

Kyle Leach said...

V, thank you so much for the shout out! This is creating dialogue about a self image issue we really need to deal with.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.