Thursday, January 5, 2012

My Review: "Pariah"


OMG gang, I just saw a great movie the other day! It was 'Pariah' and it's getting wonderful praise. The story centers around Alike, a 17-year-old African-American girl who's learning to embrace her lesbian identity.

So let's cut to it, here's my bullet point (vague) review.
  • I love the realness of the film and the characters. The casting director did a great job.
  • The story was very easy to follow and very honest.
  • Alike's story was a very common one. I think many people could relate to her.
  • Kim Wayans plays Alike's mother. Kim was great in this role. In every scene, Kim delivered. You could see the pain in eyes and feel it in her voice. I was very impressed with Kim's performance.
  • Adepero Oduye plays Alike. She gave a wonderful performance that was very engaging and truthful.
  • Alike was never a victim in this movie and I loved that.
  • Her best friend's story was also perfect. My heart went out to her.
  • This is a LGBT movie that sets the stage for other LGBT movies to come. Maybe we will get less 'Another Gay Movie' types and more 'Pariah' types.
  • Themes of the film was freedom, growth and discovery.
  • The confrontation between Alike and her mother was deep and very real. It was sad to watch, but you couldn't take your eyes away from the scene.
  • Dee Rees did a great job on this film. I was truly inspired. 
I was blown away by this film, for real. The story and actors were on point and strong. I highly recommend this movie. Please see it if you can.

3 comments:

Greg said...

Caesar and I both wanted to see this after catching the preview a month or so ago. But trying to find it has been quite a task.

Kyle Leach said...

Looking forward to seeing it when it is out on DVD.

Unknown said...

I LOVED IT TOO! Your breakdown of the film is spot on. I will say that everyone in the theater felt Alike's emotions, especially when she shared her first kiss. . .everyone was giggly. This movie gets hella praise from me, and I am glad that I had the opportunity to see it!

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.