Saturday, January 7, 2012

Interesting Quote: Phillip M. Miner


I know I'm not so supposed to mention this for fear that I might be misquoted by social conservatives, but queer people are frequently and impressively mean to one another. 

A few examples: the fact that racism within the LGBTQ community has been well documented; the fact that the isolation that LGBTQ people often feel in rural communities is frequently ignored or belittled ("Why don't they just move to cities?"); the volume of homeless LGBTQ youth that we leave to fend for themselves; the fact that the rights of transgender citizens have been sacrificed so that gay men and lesbians can gain their rights first; the fact that to fit a rigid and rather unrealistic body image, gay men have a higher prevalence of eating disorders than their heterosexual counterparts; and the fact, according to some, that it's the upper-middle-class, white men who dictate what is important to the LGBTQ community.

As a result, instead of coming out to a community who finally accepts them, some people find themselves still outcasts, still told that who they are isn't quite right. For them, it may never get better. Again, this is hard on the ol' psyche. 
Please read the rest of this article 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

He writes like a white male. What he writes is mostly true but it is true of all minor it groups. When you look at other minorities - race, sex, religion, national origin, height, weight, sexuality etc. each group has it's own lack of cohesion. You might identify as black but then there's light, dark, island, African and so on. The biggest difference between LGBTs and other minorities is that 99% of the time, the other minorities are born into their group. LGBTs must find themselves and then their group.

Anonymous said...

I agree with some of his points. In the TG community I've gotten the cold shoulder from some who have begun transitioning, and then there are the ones who have completely transitioned and then deny they were once TG to begin with.

Would I kill myself over it? No way. It'a a lot easier to tell these people off than harm myself.

XandGunn said...

I completely agree with this guy. He makes so brilliant points and more people in our community need to read this.

Anonymous said...

For me i was always alone and I could care less about this whole acceptance thing. I found strength in loving yourself.
just like that song says " If you known yourself you are at home no matter where you are".

Kyle Leach said...

V, I was really glad to see you posted his piece and breaking the silence too many want to keep. If we are going to work on this as a community we have to talk about it. I put it at my place and I gave you a shout out.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.